Hokitikas first Custom House was sited along Gibson Quay in July 1865. During the height of the gold rushes in the mid 1860s Hokitika was one of the busiest ports in New Zealand . in 1897 the present Custom House was built This Building was moved to its present site on the reconstructed Quayside in 1985



Information from Hokitika Heritage Walk Brochure